Sunday, April 25, 2010

Liver & Bacon - Sustenance in style

This dish is for Nikki, love of my life, 'cos she "don't like liver".  
I know some may think: Hold on, if she "don't like liver" why are you making liver and bacon?
Well, I have found that quite often some dishes can be so traumatic when you are a kid that you never want to touch them again - your nan's sprouts at Christmas cooked to a mush, school cauliflower cheese again cooked to a mush and swimming in rancid "cheese water" - but often by cooking with care and respect, using fresh local ingredients and packing flavour in we can overcome the abuse we suffered as kids!


Lamb and pigs liver: (4min pan fried in butter & ground nut oil)
Gravy: bacon, red onion, bacon & port gravy
Two Tatties Terrine (maris piper & sweet potatoes)
Red Onion Marmalade (port, sherry vinegar & red wine)
Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Needless to say - she, and all the kids loved it and came back for more - phew!

8 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. I remember school "leather" liver. Home cooked is so much tastier. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love liver but must admit I give pigs' a miss. My favourites are lamb and calves liver. I like the look of that red onion marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer lambs liver too. I soak mine overnight in milk and it smoothes out the flavour remarkably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Matt, those tatties look good.. what did you do, like dauphinoise but with a layer of sweet potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very yummy, a proper whole hearted meal! I wanted to let you know that I have tagged you in an Easter menu tag game, I was invited by the cajunlicious blogger. Please visit my blog to find out more and to participate.
    All the best, Natasha from the Rambles and Shambles blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. I'm not convinced. I'm not an offal eater, and yes, perhaps it is down to bad childhood memories, but I'm not sure I could try again.

    I have an abiding memory of being made to sit at the dinner table until I'd cleaned my plate. There was leathery liver on my plate. Shortly afterwards I became vegetarian...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!

    I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    Man and Van Twickenham

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very thankful to you for outstanding post. Perfectly composed information really experienced knowledge. I really enjoying and I’m going to bookmark so i can read new articles you post in future.

    Man And Van Farnham

    ReplyDelete