Sunday, February 21, 2010

Battle for Toad Hall - The Aftermath!

Well it's been a busy few weeks in the AB household what with our decision to install Solar Thermal hot water AND Photovoltaic Solar power panels which had to be done double quick to make use of the UK government grant that is ending, a realisation that I  should really get one OU course work ended before starting the next but BOTH need the work in at the end of February and of course the dread, when you have kids, half term!


But I have FINALLY gotten round to a round up of the Battle For Toad Hall!


Firstly I'd like to thank everyone who took the time and trouble to enter the first blog-challenge that I have ever set and I hope that you enjoyed doing and eating it as much as I did?


The first entry by RoastPotato "perfect toad in the hole with onion gravy" using a Heston approach featured a true gravy to die for and lovely pump toads nestled in a duvet of a hole - thank you!


meemalee's "Easy Toad in the hole" did exactly what it said on the tin and served with a good helping of Baked Beans and Mash is guaranteed to fulfil your winter desires! Sorry I could not work out how to post a photo here but head over to the blog and feast your eyes! 

57varieties entry was a tale filled with tears of happiness and sorrow - unfortunately at the time of writing the blog seems to have disappeared off the face of the interweb!!

Maison Cupcake's entry set my heart beating with her gorgeous "Valentines Dinner Heart Shaped Toad in the Hole for Two" and bought back memories of my 'O' level human biology lessons (complete with exploding pencil sharpeners - but that's another story!).



There was one last "late" entry by anyoneforseconds: "Toad In The Hole"  which is included here 'cos it looked damn fine! 


Oh, and I nearly forgot my entry using locally made paprika sausages:



I think, and hope you'd agree, that we all deserve to be "Toad of Toad Hall" and hope everyone enjoys this celebration of a great British dish!

Poot Poot!








6 comments:

  1. In a case of truly spectacular timing, I stopped using my 57Varieties address today, hence it doing a Shergar. My Toad post can be found here: http://scrumptioussally.blogspot.com/2010/01/battle-for-toad-hall-tale-of-two-toads.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise how rude mine looked until you pointed it out on Twitter. Oo-er missus!

    Paprika sausages sound brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun challenge - love all these different toads in the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Matt,

    I'm a researcher at ITV Productions and we are currently searching for potential contestants for Britain’s Best Dish. I came across your blog through the course of my research.

    In case you haven’t seen the show before Britain's Best Dish is an annual competition hosted by ITV for amateur cooks. In it we look for Britain's best starter, main course and dessert.

    The winner of the competition receives the accolade of Britain's Best Dish and takes home a £10,000 cash prize. We're starting another series in the coming weeks and will be holding our regional auditions in May.

    As you are clearly a keen foodie you are just the sort of person we are looking for, so if you are at all interested in taking part or know anyone who may be interested please email ASAP to bestdish@itv.com and we’ll be in touch soon.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLA AMIGA SOY DE ECUADOR ME ENCANTO TU PAGINA VOY A INTENTAR HACER LA RECETA DEL SALMON A VER QUE TAL ME SALE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias por las amables palabras que ... buena suerte con la receta! Comida feliz ...

    Thank you for you kind words ... good luck with the recipe! Happy Eating...

    ReplyDelete